In an exclusive interview with Arun Rao, Chief People Officer, Birlasoft, People Matters explores measures that hold the potential to drive substantial results, aligning L&D efforts seamlessly with the overarching objectives of organisational growth. Arun believes that the culture and values of an organisation depend on strong employee connection and transparency.
Learning and development (L&D) is one of the core areas of Human Resource Management. How do you see L&D evolving over the past years?
According to the World Economic Forum's "Future of Jobs" report, 23% of jobs will change in the next five years, emphasising the need to adopt Learning and Development (L&D) strategies. These ongoing and anticipated transformations in work, technology advancements, and increased learning options, have led to L&D becoming a continuous process underlying learning in the flow of work.
Remote and hybrid work arrangements, accelerated by the pandemic, require seamless access to training. There is a constant and continuing need for learning opportunities and L&D leadership has to evolve to meet all these requirements.
How to align L&D initiatives with the company's goals and objectives?
Aligning L&D with company goals is crucial for success. The following framework can be useful to achieve this objective:
- Understand Objectives: It is imperative to fully comprehend the company's mission, vision, and long-term goals.
- Identify Needed Skills: Identify and analyse skill gaps between current and desired capabilities.
- Engage Stakeholders: Collaborate with leadership, departments, and employees to tailor L&D initiatives as per expectations.
- Develop Custom Training: Create tailored programs based on insights.
- Promote Continuous Learning: Foster a culture of ongoing skill enhancement.
- Invert the KirkPatrick model: Start the competency development strategy with a conversation related to learning outcomes and intended ROI.
- Democratise Learning: Provide employees learning opportunities basis role and skill needs and the choice to learn as per preference.
Embracing L&D trends empowers employees for adaptability and readiness in a changing workforce and can be the key to organisational success and growth.
As Chief People Officer, how do you decide what works effectively for learning and development at your organisation?
And we are striving to achieve many of these objectives by some of the following initiatives:
- Digital Capability Development: We offer specialised programs on emerging technologies like Cloud, AI/ML and key industry domains
- Digital Academies: These are dedicated hubs for continuous learning and innovation
- Access to asynchronous 24x7 online learning: All 12000+ Birlasoft employees have unlimited access to Coursera on technical, domain, functional, behavioral, and project management capabilities
- Adaptive Learning for Newcomers: A case study-based blended learning model, by assigning self-paced modules, along with virtual instructor-led sessions
- Specialised career inflection points learning interventions: Collaborating with premier educational institutions to create customised content for our hi-potential employees wanting to shift/accelerate their career journeys, thus building an effective internal talent pipeline
- Project Management and Agile Competency: Our PMAspire certification framework equips project/program managers to effectively manage projects/programs of any size and complexity.
- Strategic Alliances: Collaborations with industry leaders like Microsoft, SAP, AWS, ServiceNow, Salesforce, and Google provide up-to-date training content and certifications