Headquartered in Troy, Michigan, the client is a leading global supplier of drivetrain, mobility, braking and aftermarket solutions for commercial vehicle and industrial markets. The client was looking for a partner to modernize and upgrade the PTC windchill architecture in order to ensure effective and optimal utilization of the product in their environment. Birlasoft partnered with the client to undertake end-to-end transformation, including, upgradation, migration and continual management of the application while also undertaking the continual infrastructure management.
Windchill ePLM suite, at client’s end was in need of upgrade to the latest version. Previously, it was hosted to an on-premise infrastructure and demanded constant refresh in hardware and software. Additionally, incessantly growing storage and backups in IP file systems needed constant expansion.
Birlasoft proposed a ‘big bang’ approach of upgrading the application and migration to public cloud with the below solution tenets:
- 4 Windchill environments including production, DR and non-productions upgraded to 11.0 and migration on Amazon Web Services.
- Around 700 GB of production data from Oracle and SQL with 5TB of file storage transferred to AWS in multiple waves to ensure minimal downtime and data consistency.
- Total of 30 EC2 instances with Load balancing, Disaster recovery, Anti-virus, load balancing.
- HA/DR enabled AWS multi region implementation in US-east and US-west with a RTO & RPO of 4 & 2 hours respectively.
- Data at-rest and Data in-transit encryption enabled for the complete environment with Client owned and generated keys.
- 20 CIs configured with iSight monitoring and analytics through the IT operations management module.
- Network optimization implemented for better utilization of bandwidth and improved performance
- Whiteglove application and infrastructure managed services delivered through a centralized service desk with 24*7 support.
- 2TB of databases spread Oracle and MS SQL in multiple environments along with 10 TB of File storage with IP data.
- Annual DR drill execution to ensure RPO & RTO compliance.
Birlasoft successfully carried out the application upgrade and migration for the client, while ensuring faster deployment and shorter decommissioning time for instances. Minimum outages, faster cycle times for up-scale and down-scale scenarios in computing and storage, coupled with strong, ongoing support for the application management has resulted in significant cost reductions for the client which allows the latter to focus on strengthening the Infrastructure environment and explore newer technologies to leverage upon.