Progress with Philanthropy
For 150 years, the CK Birla Group has demonstrated a Concern for the community, and contributed towards nation-building. The philosophy that has driven all the Birla Group companies, including Birlasoft is 'value creation for all'.
Birlasoft believes and practices in Sustained and Responsible contributions to society and the environment.
Birlasoft Cares’ initiatives are diverse and support multiple issues including: Environment Issues, Child Welfare, Elderly Welfare, Supporting the Disabled and the Underprivileged. Birlasoft builds upon the traditions of the inside-out approach to CSR, where each individual employee is a leader with a self conscience and plays a socially transformative role.
Birlasoft is also committed to build a clean green future.
As our business grows, we strive to minimize our impact on the Earth's climate. We are, therefore, taking all measures to implement innovative & responsible environmental practices across our company, reducing carbon footprint, ensuring efficient computing and helping our employees be "green".
The Birlasoft business powers platforms requiring extensive computer infrastructure to keep our tools and services running. This requires a lot of electricity. To honor our commitment to reducing carbon footprint, we increase energy efficiency of our own operations by focusing on clean fuel and waste management.
- An energy conservation drive has been enforced across 6 Delivery centers, where it is mandatory to reduce electricity & power consumption by using energy efficient lighting systems, switching lights off, when not in use, and naturally-lit offices.
- Heat reflecting glasses & energy other eco-friendly construction materials are used for office temperature control
- Eco-friendly generator sets across all centers, to reduce toxic gas emissions
- To reduce electricity consumption, we operate fewer elevators on weekends and encourage minimized usage. Every day, after 7 pm, the housekeeping shuts down bays where employees are not working. Self regulation is promoted through frequent communication and sensitization programmes, for eg - Laptops/monitors not shut down are tracked and notices are sent to employees to raise awareness on social responsibility.
- Reduced travelling and increased dependency on video conferencing across 6 global delivery centres and corporate offices - Mandatory vehicle health checks, to meet regulation & compliance, since 2007
- We encourage shared cabs for employees, while our administrative department charts out routes to minimize number of vehicles on road
- A paperless office drive was instituted in 2008. No waste paper bins across all locations except common bins, which are tracked & waste measured and reported
- Offices' dry waste is recycled - paper is sent to various vendors to make recycled paper notebooks & folders, which we buy back at office consumption
- Used desktops and laptops are collected and e-waste management is carried out in a programmed fashion through formal organizations that excel in recycling
Our Group Community Engagement Programs have been concentrated in Community Service & Welfare and Philanthropy and Heritage Preservation.
Community Service & Welfare
- Health: Free Medical Aid & Support (superspeciality hospitals, family planning & hinterland medical camps)
- Environment & Green Initiatives: (Green building products, Reduced carbon footprint, Farmers Support & Forestation, Up-keeping Mines)
- Education: (Supporting education for over 15,000 girl children)
- Community Welfare:
- Engaging with village communities to reduce migration create meaningful employment
- Disaster relief funds
- Social and tribal welfare for villages around mines
- Building healthy and safe micro communities through partnering charitable institutions
Philanthropy and Heritage Preservation:
- Preservation and restoration of national monuments (with Archaeological Survey of India)
- Running Museums, Planetariums and Educational & Research institutes of repute across India
- Preserving ancient Indian Art & Heritage by employing and promoting craftsmen and artisans
While organizations continually re-invent themselves to keep pace with globalization & dynamic conditions in order to sustain and thrive, they need to also create enduring social & economic value in an environmentally sound & socially responsible manner.